Maria Yeager

Home » Christianity » What Has Happened to Christianity in the Age of Trump? Part 1

What Has Happened to Christianity in the Age of Trump? Part 1

After observing some recent tweets by both President Trump and evangelicals, I felt a strong pull to address what has changed with Christianity in this age of Trump. It is beyond me how some Christians blindly follow this man. It is also very scary as some of the things we are witnessing today are eerily similar to what happened in World War II. I recently read a book called “The Choice” which was written by Dr. Edith Eva Eger. Oprah recently interviewed Dr. Eger on her show, “Super Soul Sunday”. She is strongly opposed to what is happening at our southern border as she knows what it is like to be treated in that manner. In her book, she explained how she was sent to Auschwitz and forced to go on the death march. She was found barely alive on a top of dead bodies when the Americans came and saved her. She has vowed to fight against the issues at our southern border as much as she can even though she is 92 years old.

What really propelled me into writing this series of blogs was an article that I read on Facebook. A Jewish woman has proposed that a “Book of Trump” be added to the Bible. I just about fell out of my chair when I read this! That has to be one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard…and in my opinion, it is sacrilege to even suggest something like that.

What I have decided to do is to compare actual tweets made by President Trump to actual quotes from Jesus that are in the Bible. I hope that by doing this, the reader can see the extremely clear differences in what Trump has said and what Jesus told us to do. Please know that this is just the icing on the cake when it comes to Trump. As you will see, for many of the questions, I quote things that Trump has said on Twitter over the past month ONLY. If I quote every lie or name that he has called someone, I would literally have a book. This blog just gives a very few examples of how Trump’s words and actions do NOT follow the teachings of Jesus Christ.

Name-calling

What Trump has said on Twitter since July 1, 2019 (actual quotes):

• “Paul Ryan almost killed the Republican Party. Weak, ineffective and stupid are not exactly the qualities that the Republicans…were looking for.”
  • “Andy McCabe is a major sleazebag.”
  • “Could you imagine having Sleepy Joe Biden, or Alfred E. Newman, or a very nervous and skinny version of Pocahontas as your President…”
  • “I don’t know the Ambassador, but I have been told he is a pompous fool.”
  • “Watching Fox News weekend anchors is worse than watching low ratings Fake News CNN, or Lyin’ Brian Williams…and the crew of degenerate Comcast (NBC/MSNBC) Trump haters, who do whatever Brian and Steve tell them to do.”
  • “Great news for the Republican Party as one of the dumbest and most disloyal men in Congress is quitting the party…A total loser!” (He is talking about Justin Amash)
  • “We all know that Alexandria Ocaso-Cortez and this crowd are a bunch of communists…”
  • “I told Theresa May how to do that deal, but she went her own foolish way…”
  • “The ‘Squad’ is a very racist group  of troublemakers who are young, inexperienced, and not very smart.”

What Jesus said:

• “Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.” Matthew 5:9
  • “And if you insult a brother or sister, you will be liable to the council.; and if you say,’You fool,’ you will be liable to the hell of fire.” Matthew 5:22
  • “In everything, do to others as you would have them do to you; for this is the law and the prophets.” Matthew 7:12
  • “I tell you, on the day of judgment, you will have to give an account for every careless word you utter, for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned” Matthew 12:36-37

Ego/Narcissism:

What Trump has said since July 1, 2019 (actual quotes, and yes, he does refer to himself in the third person):

• “Our country is the envy of the world. Thank you, Mr. President!”
  • “Tell him the USA now has the best economy and military anywhere in the world by far, and they are both only getting bigger, better and stronger…thank you, Mr. President!”
  • “They don’t want people to shop at those great stores because he contributed to your favorite President, me!”
  • “…rather than what you have now, so great looking and smart, a true stable genius.”

What Jesus said:

• “Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.” Matthew 5:5
  • “Whoever becomes humble like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.” Matthew 18:4
  • “The greatest among you will be your servant. All who exalt themselves will be humbled, and all who humble themselves will be exalted.” Matthew 23:11-12
  • “So I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet. For I have set you an example that you also should do as I have done to you.” John 13:14-15

Love of money:

**Note: The point here is not to say that we shouldn’t be happy that the economy is doing well. The point is that Trump’s focus is on money, and he’s not ever happy that he has enough. He always wants more, and this is a problem.

What Trump has said on Twitter since July 1, 2019:

• “In the meantime, we are receiving billions of dollars in tariffs from China…”
  • “We are doing great economically as a country, number one…”
  • “When you are the big piggy bank that other countries have been ripping off for years…”
  • “Dow just hit 27,000 for the first time ever!”
  • “Ask the Times what they paid for the Boston Globe and what they sold it for (lost 1.5 billion dollars).”
  • “Strong jobs report, low inflation, and other countries around the world doing anything possible to take advantage of the United States.”
  • “It could have been even better – massive additional wealth would have been created…”
  • “Today’s stock market is the highest in the history of our great country!”
  • “We have the greatest economy anywhere in the world.”
  • “The economy is the BEST IT HAS EVER BEEN!”

What Jesus said:

• “No one can serve two masters; for a slave will either hate the one and love the other, or be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and wealth.” Matthew 6:24
  • “Truly I tell you, it will be hard for a rich person to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.” Matthew 19:23-24

Lying:

**Note: It is common knowledge that Trump has lied over 10,000 times since he took office. Several media outlets are currently tracking and documenting all of his lies.

What Trump has tweeted since July 1, 2019:

• “I don’t make money, but lose a fortune for the honor of serving and doing a great job as your President!”

Truth: There are many ways Trump has made money while he has been President. Here is one example: According to estimates by Dan Alexander and Matt Drange of Forbes, Trump pulls in AT LEAST 175 million annually from commercial tenants in his buildings.

• “So interesting to see Progressive Democrat Congresswomen, who originally came from countries whose governments are a complete and total catastrophe…”

Truth: Trump was talking about the 4 Congresswomen who have recently been in the news. Trump’s comments were viewed as racist, and the House passed a resolution saying that his remarks were racist. Three out of the four women were not born in other countries. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez was born in the Bronx in New York. Ilhan Oman is a refugee from Somalia and became a U.S. citizen in 2000. Rashida Tlaib was born and raised in Detroit, Michigan. Ayanna Pressley was born and raised in Cincinnati, Ohio.

• “[Joe Biden] added more debt than all other Presidents combined.”

Truth: According to Forbes, “Trump’s deficits as a percentage of GDP will exceed any other President’s during a time of economic expansion. Under Trump, debt has risen to a record $22 trillion.”

• “Democrats want open borders….”

Truth: At no time has a Democrat ever said that they want open borders. Democrats have said that they want sensible immigration reform. Since Democrats’ idea of immigration reform does not match Trump’s version, Trump immediately jumps to the conclusion that Democrats want open borders. This is false.

• “No collusion. No obstruction.”

Truth: Here is the quote from Mueller’s report which clearly states that Mueller did not make a decision on either collusion or obstruction: “Charging the president with a crime was an option we could not consider. If we had confidence that the president clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said so. We did not, however, make a determination as to whether the president did commit a crime.”

• “As most people are aware, according to the polls, I won every debate…”

Truth: The following data is an average of five polls that were taken during the Clinton/Trump debates. The five polls came from ABC/Washington Post, CBS/New York Times, CNN/Opinion Research Corporation, Fox News, and NBC/Wall Street Journal:

Debate #1 – Clinton 43%/Trump 40.4%;

Debate #2 – Clinton 44.8%/Trump 40.8%;

Debate #3 – Clinton 45.8%/Trump 40.4%.

Now, I know that some Trump supporters will call this “fake news”, so I decided to include the numbers from Fox News ONLY:

Debate #1 – Clinton 41%/Trump 40%;

Debate #2 – Clinton 43%/Trump – 40%;

Debate #3 – Clinton 45%/Trump 38%.

So even the Fox News poll proves that Trump lied about this in his tweet!

• “We are building the wall now…”

Truth: As per multiple news sources (including Fox News and other right wing news sources) on July 21, 2019, Trump has not installed a single mile of new wall at the border. As per Fox News, “The Trump administration has not installed a single mile of new wall in a previously fenceless part of the U.S. – Mexico border in the 30 months since President Trump assumed office, despite his campaign promise…” According to Customs and Border Protection, all completed fencing was to replace existing fences in need of repair.

• “The Trump Foundation gave away 100% plus, with zero rent or expenses charged, and has been sued by Cuomo and New York State…”

Truth: The Trump Foundation has been shut down. They found that Trump and his children benefited personally and politically from it. Donald Jr., Ivanka, and Eric Trump can never operate a New York charity again because of the corrupt activity that was found.

What Jesus said:

• “‘If you wish to enter into life, keep the commandments.’ He said to him, ‘Which ones?’ And Jesus said, ‘You shall not murder, You shall not commit adultery; You shall not steal; You shall not bear false witness…'” Matthew 19:18-19
  • “You are from your father the devil, and you choose to do your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning and does not stand in the truth, because  there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks according to his own nature, for he is a liar and the father of lies.” John 8:44

Infidelity:

What Trump has said:

• “I moved on her, and I failed. I’ll admit it. I did try and f*** her. She was married.” (He was talking about his failed attempt to seduce Nancy O’Dell)
  • “I better use some Tic Tacs just in case I start kissing her…I don’t even wait. And when you’re a star, they let you do it. You can do anything. Grab ’em by the p****. You can do anything.” (He was talking about Arianna Zucker)
  • During an interview in 2005 with Howard Stern, Trump said, “I’ll go backstage before a show, and everyone’s getting dressed…You know, no men are anywhere. And I’m allowed to go in because I’m the owner of the pageant. And therefore, I’m inspecting it…is everyone OK? You know, they’re standing there with no clothes. And you see these incredible looking women. And so I sort of get away with things like that.”
  • At a 1992 party with Jeffrey Epstein, Trump grabbed a women by the waist, pulled her to him, and patted her on the butt. During that same party, he kissed Faith Daniels even though Daniels was married. He described the kiss as “so open and nice”. Recently a video has surfaced that shows this behavior, and NBC has shared it.

What Jesus said:

• “You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife…or anything that belongs to your neighbor.” Exodus 20:17

Note: I know some Trump supporters will point out that this verse comes from the Old Testament, and some will claim “it doesn’t apply because all that changed when Jesus came.” But let me point out these verses from Jesus:

• “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lust has already committed adultery with her in his heart.” Matthew 5:27-28
  • “If you believed Moses, you would believe me, for he wrote about me. But if you do not believe what he wrote, how will you believe what I say?” John 5:46-47

Immigration/Helping others who are less fortunate/Lack of compassion:

What Trump has tweeted since July 1, 2019:

• “Failing New York Times is writing phony and exaggerated accounts of the border detention centers…”
  • “If illegal immigrants are unhappy with the conditions…just tell them not to come.”
  • “Sorry, can’t let them into our country.”
  • “Many of these illegal aliens are living far better now than where they came from.”
  • “Tell migrants not to come into our country…”
  • “Detention facilities are not concentration camps!”
  • “If you are not happy here, you can leave.”

What Jesus said:

• “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the greatest and first commandment. And a second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.”…” Matthew 22:37-40
  • “Come, you that are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me…Truly I telll you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you did it to me.” Matthew 25:34-40
  • “Whoever has two coats must share with anyone who has none; and whoever has food must do likewise.” Luke 3:11
  • “When [Jesus] saw the crowds, he had compassion for them, because they were harassed and helpless…” Matthew 9:36
  • “Moved with compassion, Jesus touched their eyes. Immediately they regained their sight and followed him.” Matthew 20:34
  • “I have compassion for the crowd, because they have been with me now for three days and have nothing to eat; and I do not want to send them away hungry, for they might faint on the way.” Matthew 15:32
  • “When the Lord saw her, he had compassion for her and said to her, ‘Do not weep.'” Luke 7:13

Hypocrisy:

What Trump has said since July 1, 2019:

• “The Democratic Congresswomen have been spewing some of the most file, hateful, and disgusting things ever said…”

Truth: Trump says hateful and disgusting things almost every day (see examples above).

• “If Democrats want to unite around the foul language and racist hatred spewed from the mouths and actions of these very unpopular and unrepresentative Congresswomen…”

Truth: Trump has made many racist statements such as:

1. Why don’t they go back and help fix the totally broken and crime-infested places from which they came…”
    2. “Why are we having all these people from shithole countries come here? We should have more people from places like Norway.”
    3. “These aren’t people, these are animals, and we’re taking them out of the country…”
    4. “But you also had people that were very fine people on both sides…” (speaking about the white supremacist rally in Charlottesville where Heather Heyer was killed.
  • “When will the radical left Congresswomen apologize to our country…”

Truth: Trump attacks people constantly and never apologizes for anything.

• “Horrible anti-Israel, anti-USA, pro-terrorist and public shouting of the F… word…” (He was talking about the 4 Congresswomen)

Truth: The following are just a few examples of actual quotes where Trump has used the F word in public:

1. “Listen, you motherf*****s, we’re gonna tax you 25 percent.”
    2. “We build a school, we build a road…in the meantime, we can’t get a f***ing school in Brooklyn.”
    3. “We have nobody in Washington that sits back and said, ‘You’re not going to raise that f***ing price.”

What Jesus said:

• “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you tithe mint, dill, and cumin, and have neglected the weightier matters of the law: justice and mercy and faith….you strain out a gnat but swallow a camel!” Matthew 23:23-24
  • “Woe to you scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you clean the outside of the cup and of the plate, but inside they are full of greed and self-indulgence.” Matthew 23:25-26
  • “So you also on the outside look righteous to others, but inside you are full of hypocrisy and lawlessness.” Matthew 23:28

Lawlessness:

What Trump and his administration has done:

Ignored subpoenas

Repeatedly lied.

Refused to testify in front of Congress.

KellyAnne Conway has violated the Hatch Act multiple times.

Appears that Trump did obstruct justice regarding the Russia investigation.

What Jesus said:

“And many false prophets will arise and lead many astray. And because of the increase of lawlessness, the love of many will grow cold.” Matthew 24:11-12

So if Trump’s behavior does not fall in line with the teachings of Jesus Christ, why do some evangelicals think he is doing God’s work? The following are just three examples of how evangelicals push this narrative, but there are many more:

• “Only God could deliver such a savior to our nation…” Brad Pascale, Trump campaign manager
  • “I think that [God] wanted Donald Trump to become President.” Sarah Huckabee Sanders
  • “Furthermore, when you consider everything that President Trump has done for people of faith since taking office, it’s easy to see why so many of them agree with Sanders that Donald Trump is doing God’s work.” Paula White, evangelical leader and adviser to Trump.

Jesus told us how we could distinguish between true Christians and those who just say they are Christian but really aren’t:

• “Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves. You will know them by their fruits.” Matthew 7:15-16

We know that God does not listen to sinners (remember that Trump has openly admitted that he doesn’t repent; therefore he is an unrepentant sinner):

• “We know that God does not listen to sinners, but he does listen to one who worships him and obeys his will.” John 9:31

And we know that the light cannot mix with the darkness:

• “And this is the judgement, that the light has come into the world, and people loved darkness rather than light because their deeds were evil. For all who do evil hate the light and do not come to the light, so that their deeds may not be exposed. But those who do what is true come to the light, so that it may be clearly seen that their deeds have been done in God.”  John 3:19-21

We also know that someone like Trump who is the antithesis of Christianity cannot do the will of God. Jesus explained this in Matthew 12:25:

• “Every kingdom divided against itself is laid waste, and no city or house divided against itself will stand. If Satan casts out Satan, he is divided against himself; how then will his kingdom stand?” Matthew 12:25-26

In conclusion, I believe that it is safe to say that Donald Trump is NOT doing God’s work. His words and behavior are the exact opposite of how Jesus taught us to act. I believe far-right Christians and some evangelicals believe Trump is “doing God’s work” based purely on the fact that he says he is pro-life (he used to be pro-choice) and that he has assigned conservative judges to the Supreme Court. However, it is extremely important to realize that abortion is not the only issue. In fact, I believe Jesus warned us that hyper-focus on one issue, such as abortion, could lead us down the wrong path. Let’s revisit Matthew 23:23-24. Think about far-right Christians and their hyper-focus on abortion. Then think about all the anti-Christian things Trump has done as evidenced in this blog. Ready? Now read what Jesus said:

The point here is that Christianity involves EVERYTHING that Jesus taught. It is not just about abortion. Yes, the abortion issue is important, but if we focus just on that one thing while ignoring justice and mercy and faith, we are hypocrites and are not doing the will of God.

More to come soon…