Home » Posts tagged 'fake news'
Tag Archives: fake news
To Christians Who Support Donald Trump:
Why do you support this man?
Do you not realize that by supporting him and not calling him out on his bad behavior hurts Christianity?
People who are watching, including children, are witnessing hypocrisy. Is this really what you want to teach your children? Do you not realize that others are leaving the church because of the hypocrisy?
I don’t understand. Being a Christian myself, I am befuddled as how to someone who is a true Christian can support this man. A lot of people are confused. Please explain it to us.
Explain how you can look past the remarks that were made on the bus when Trump said that he “grabs them by the p****. Jesus tells us to follow the commandments. “Thou shalt not commit adultery” is one of them. Trump was a married man. He even said he “tried to **** her”, referring to Nancy O’Dell who was also married. This behavior is the exact opposite of what Jesus taught us.
Explain how you seem to be able to look past all the lies Trump has told since he has been in office. He has lied over 1000 times since he took office, starting with the size of the crowds at the inauguration. Here are some other Trump statements that have been proven false:
Trump: “And I have been on their cover 14 or 15 times. I think we have the all-time record in the history of Time magazine.”
Truth: Nixon beat him by a wide margin. Trump was on the cover 11 times, and Nixon was on it 55 times.
Trump: “So, look, when President Obama was there [Chicago] two weeks ago making a speech, very nice speech. Two people were shot and killed during his speech. You can’t have that.”
Truth: On the day that Obama made this speech, there were no gun homicide victims in Chicago.
Trump: “Only 109 people out of 325,000 were detained and held for questioning. Big problems at airports were caused by Delta computer outage.”
Truth: 746 people were detained. The Delta outage occurred two days later.
Trump: “The failing @nytimes was forced to apologize to its subscribers for the poor reporting it did on my election win. Now they are worse!”
Truth: The New York Times never apologized.
Trump: “We got 306 because people came out and voted like they’ve never seen before so that’s the way it goes. I guess it was the biggest Electoral College win since Ronald Reagan.”
Truth: Barack Obama, Bill Clinton and George H.W. Bush won by bigger margins in the Electoral College.
Trump: “You look at what’s happening in Germany, you look at what’s happening last night in Sweden. Sweden, who would believe this?”
Truth: There was no terror attack in Sweden that night. The next day, confusion set in as no one knew what Trump was talking about.
Trump: “Terrible! Just found out that Obama had my ‘wires tapped’ in Trump Tower just before the victory. Nothing found. This is McCarthyism!”
Truth: There was no evidence that Trump Tower was ever wiretapped.
Trump: “On the airplanes, I saved $725 million. Probably took me a half an hour if you added up all of the times.”
Truth: The cost cuts were already planned before Trump ever became President.
Trump: “I like Steve [Bannon], but you have to remember he was not involved in my campaign until very late. I had already beaten all the senators and all the governors, and I didn’t know Steve.”
Truth: Trump knew Steve Bannon since 2011.
Trump: “Again, the story that there was collusion between the Russians & Trump campaign was fabricated by Dems as an excuse for losing the election.”
Truth: The FBI was investigating Russian interference into the election before Trump ever took office (before Clinton’s loss).
Trump: On June 27, 2017, Trump, referring to CNN, said,“Ratings way down!”
Truth: At the time, CNN’s ratings were at a five-year high.
Trump: On July 17, 2017, Trump said, “We’ve signed more bills — and I’m talking about through the legislature — than any president, ever.”
Truth: Clinton, Carter, Truman and FDR had all signed more bills than Trump at the same point.
Trump: “It is about time that Roger Goodell of the NFL is finally demanding that all players STAND for our great National Anthem”
Truth: The NFL never made this demand.
These are just a few of over 1000 lies that Trump has told. Jesus told us that Satan is the father of lies:
“You are of your father the devil, and it is your will to practice the desires of your father. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks what is natural to him, for he is a liar and the father of lies and half-truths.” John 8:44
So how do you justify Trump’s lies?
How about his lack of concern for others who are different? What about the botched immigration mess that occurred not long after he took office? All those poor people in distress because they couldn’t get back in the country? What about all the people in Puerto Rico who suffered without the basic necessities of life, having to wait a full week before Trump took any action to help them?
Let’s think about this. In the Bible, it says:
“The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.” Leviticus 19:34
“Then Peter began to speak to them: ‘I truly understand that God shows no partiality, but in every nation anyone who fears him and does what is right is acceptable to him.'” Acts 10:34
How do you justify the hate that Trump spreads? What about the horrible comments that he made after the Charolottesville attacks? What about all the name-calling on his Twitter feed? Here are just a few examples:
“The Failing @nytimes set Liddle’ Bob Corker up by recording his conversation. Was made to sound a fool, and that’s what I am dealing with!”
“With Jemele Hill at the mike, it is no wonder ESPN ratings have “tanked,” in fact, tanked so badly it is the talk of the industry!”
“Being nice to Rocket Man hasn’t worked in 25 years, why would it work now?”
“…Such poor leadership ability by the Mayor of San Juan, and others in Puerto Rico, who are not able to get their workers to help.”
There are so many more including the constant attacks on the media and on anyone who disagrees with him.
Where in the Bible does it say that it’s OK to call people names? Where does it say that it’s OK to verbally attack anyone that disagrees or has a different opinion or view? Can’t find it? That’s because it isn’t in the Bible. Jesus said:
“ Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these.” Mark 12:30-31
How do you justify all this behavior? Why would you say that Trump is a true Christian and that his behavior is OK with God? How can you say that? Have you read the Bible?
Please explain it to us.
I recently saw a post by Franklin Graham that said he was thankful that Trump was in office because he tells the truth. Truth?? Franklin Graham, hate to tell you this, but Trump has nothing to do with the truth. The fact is that Trump is the antithesis of Christianity. As Jesus told us, “Satan is the father of lies”. Trump has lied more than 1000 times since taking office.
That’s the truth.
It has been quite a while since I have written a blog post. I just haven’t felt like writing because I have quite honestly been quite depressed lately.
I have been struggling so hard to not write about politics. I have some really close friends that are Trump supporters, and I don’t want to offend them. In January, I decided to write some posts on my facebook page about narcissism and how it relates to Trump. Wow, did I ever get hammered by Trump supporters. They did not like the posts at all, and I was called all kinds of names. After that, I decided to not post about politics…well, that didn’t even last a couple of weeks.
Although I don’t want to offend anyone that I deeply care about, there is just something in me that feels that if we don’t speak up, we are doomed to repeat history. Keeping quiet in this tumultuous time may actually be the wrong thing to do. I struggle with this war in my mind almost every day. Well, I have decided to address some things that are really bothering me. I apologize in advance to any of my close friends who don’t agree with what I am about to write, but I feel it is the right thing to do. I hope you understand.
I am disgusted by what I am seeing in Washington. I am particularly sick of seeing all of Trump’s comments on the “fake news”. This is deeply disturbing to me, and this morning on Meet the Press, John McCain so eloquently stated these same concerns to Chuck Todd. He said that the first thing that dictators do is to shut down the press. This week, Trump actually sent out a tweet saying the media is “the enemy of the American people.” I know, I know….Trump isn’t a dictator…yet, anyway. But, as John McCain said, we should learn from history.
It is well-known how Hitler and Stalin controlled the media during their time in power. Stalin allowed citizens to read, listen, and see only what he approved. During Hitler’s reign, the Editor’s Law was enacted in October, 1933, and paragraph 14 stated, “Editors must omit information calculated to weaken the strength of the Reich abroad or at home.”
Here are some other facts about oppressive regimes, both past and present:
- In North Korea, all media is controlled by the government.
- During the military control of Burma, the media was not allowed to report any opinions that were anti-government.
- In Turkmenistan, Niyazov’s administration controlled and censored media content.
- In Equatorial Guinea, criticism of Obiang’s regime is not tolerated.
- In Libya, no negative reports of Qaddafi were allowed during his time in power. It was the most tightly controlled media in the Arab world at the time.
Clearly, freedom of the press is of utmost importance in upholding democracy. Again, to repeat what John McCain said this morning, we should learn from history!
Now, yes, there is some fake news out there, and that is not OK. But it seems to me that Trump wants to claim that all news that is critical of him is fake, and this is simply not true. According to his own tweet,
“The FAKE NEWS media (failing nytimes, NBCNews, ABC, CBS, CNN) is not my enemy, it is the enemy of the American People!”
What stuns me is that some people out there are so quick to say that all news that criticizes Trump is fake, and they seem to believe everything that Trump says is the absolute truth. Let’s look at this a little more in-depth. According to PolitiFact, a Pulitzer Prize winning political fact-checking organization, Trump makes false statements more than truthful ones. Here is the breakdown:
Politifact scorecard of Trump’s statements (www.politifact.com):
12% mostly true
20% mostly false
17% “Pants on fire”
Here are a few specific examples according to PolitiFact:
- Trump stated that Ford Motor Company was staying in the U.S. because of his actions. FALSE: Decision was made four years ago. Actual statement from Ford: “We decided to move the F-650 and F-750 medium duty trucks to Ohio Assembly in 2011, long before any candidates announced their intention to run for U.S. President.”
- “The media has a lower approval rate than Congress.” MOSTLY FALSE: Congress hits the bottom quite often.
- “The murder rate in our country is the highest it’s been in 47 years.” FALSE.
- “Terrorism and terrorist attacks in the United States and Europe have gotten to a point where it’s not even being reported.” “PANTS ON FIRE”: Heavy coverage across the globe.
- “109 people out of hundreds of thousands of travelers were affected by the immigration executive order.” FALSE: Actually more than 60,000
- “Here in Philadelphia murder has been steady – I mean – just terribly increasing.” FALSE: third lowest since 1990.
- “We had a massive landslide victory, as you know, in the Electoral College.” FALSE: Historically it’s in the bottom quarter.
And it goes on and on. I encourage you to read up on Trump’s statements…there are 27 pages on PolitiFacts website (www.politifact.com). And let’s not forget the false statements by his administration – the Bowling Green massacre that never happened, “alternative facts” about election numbers, Spicer saying that it was the biggest election win, period! etc. etc. And one of my favorites from Trump – “The leaks are real, but the news is fake”. Really? How exactly does that work? Well, it doesn’t because that’s not possible.
Fake news? How about Fake Trump!
So how is it that some are quick to point to the news as the source of the problem, but somehow seem to overlook all the untruths that Trump and his administration put out there? Hypocrisy? YES!
I have seen so much hypocrisy since this man took office. This is one of the big, big lessons that I learned in dealing with a narcissistic family – they expect everyone else to follow the rules while they break those rules themselves and attempt to justify their actions. Here are just a couple of the many disturbing examples that I have seen in the administration and in my discussions with other people (and to be VERY clear, I am not justifying the actions of Clinton, Obama, radical Islam, etc. – this is simply meant to show hypocrisy, that’s all):
- Bill O’Reilly of Fox News asked Trump about Putin, saying that Putin is a killer. Trump tried to justify his relationship with Putin by saying that there are killers in the United States. Hypocrisy? Yes! Trump then turns around and talks about how radical Islam is killing people, how Mexico has “bad hombres”, how he is deporting all the murderers….but Putin? Well, he can somehow justify that….(sarcasm).
- For years we heard all about how awful Bill Clinton was for having the affair with Monica Lewinsky. I was one of the ones who spoke out loudly about that affair – I was disgusted by his behavior. But then when I call out Trump for his remarks about women on the bus – grabbing the *****, some of those same people who spoke out about Clinton are now trying to justify Trump’s statements. Hypocrisy? Yes! One of the justifications I heard recently was that it was OK because men think about sex about every 2 minutes. Another popular justification is that “all men do this”. If it had been Clinton on that bus, I can assure you that the “all men do this” excuse would never fly!!
- The e-mail scandal involving Hillary Clinton – all last year, we heard “lock her up!!” over and over again. Then Flynn is caught talking sanctions with Russia and lying to Pence, and Trump continues to talk about how Flynn is a great man. Then Trump turns it onto the media saying that Flynn was treated very unfairly. Hypocrisy? Yes! Another example – Trump talks openly at Mar-a-Lago while dining after learning about the missle launch in Russia. Again, hypocrisy? Yes! Attack Clinton relentlessly, but when he does it…well, that’s OK (again, sarcasm).
- How many times did we hear complaints about Obama’s vacations? Yet Trump has been to Mar-a-Lago three times and has been in office for less than a month. Hypocrisy? Yes!
- How many times have you heard Trump say that polls are rigged? But then he posts a poll on twitter showing that his immigration ban was “one of his most popular so far”. Then he says that all negative polls about him are fake. Do you see the hypocrisy here?
So, in conclusion, Trump is not the awesome person that he portrays. This administration is full of hypocrisy and untruths. Yes, there is some fake news, but most is reliable if you watch the mainstream media. They may be biased, but in general, CNN, FOX, NBC, ABC, CBS…these are all reliable sources that will correct mistakes rather quickly once caught.
One of the news outlets suggested that Trump and his administration may be using psychological warfare. The definition, according to Dictionary.com, is “the use of propaganda, threats, and other psychological techniques to MISLEAD, intimidate, demoralize, or otherwise INFLUENCE the thinking or behavior of an opponent.” Is Trump and his administration actually doing this? I will leave that to you, the reader, to decide after reading this post.